- When Smoke Gets in your
- Close Shave
- Perry in his Garden (co-distributed and produced with the French Foreign Ministry and the CNRS, Center for French Scientific Research)
- Egg Yolk
- The Four Seasons
- Maid of the Mist
- The Cookie Queen
- How does your Garden Grow?
- Home Sweet Home
- The Road Home
- The Waiting Game
- In My Mother’s House
- Can’t Sleep
- Preproduction: Moving Day, Dwelling in Displacement
- Client based video work: UNDP, Bristol-Myers Squibb, WTN and BCAM (see resume)
- DVD training videos: Qigong with Wendy
- Artist book productions: Lost (4 versions), Attached (2 versions)
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- AWARDS: Highly Commended – The Guernsey Lily Film and Video Festival
- FESTIVALS/SCREENINGS: 2003 – The Guernsey Lily Film and Video Festival, England 1998 – Buffalo Movie Video Makers, Buffalo, N.Y. 1993 – Visible Women (Squeaky Wheel),Buffalo, N.Y. 1991 – Regional Rewind, Rochester, N.Y.
- Home Sweet Home
- AWARDS: Honorable Mention, Documentary Category – Natahala Media Festival Highly Commended, Documentary Category – Lily Guernsey International Film and Video Festival
- FESTIVALS/SCREENINGS: 2000 – Lily Guernsey International Film and Video Festival 1999 – DUTV cable 54 Jan/Feb, Community cultural educational television,Philadelphia 1998 – Smoky Mountain/Nantahala Media Festival, N.C. 1997 – Lockport Community Television “New Directions in Video” Lockport public access cable channel 20 1997 – Buffalo Movie Video Makers, Buffalo, N.Y. 1996 – NAMAC (National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture), Oakland, CA. 1993 – Upstate Media Regrant, Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, N.Y.
- Perry in His Garden
- AWARDS: Official Selection – Cannes Film Market Official Selection – Festival des Femme
- FESTIVALS/SCREENINGS: 2001 – Visual Studies Workshop, “No-TV” Series, Rochester, N.Y. 1988 – Crandall Library, Glens Falls, N.Y. 1988 – Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, N.Y. 1988 – Little Theatre, Documentary Festival, Rochester, N.Y. 1986 – Marche International du Film, Cannes, France 1986 – Festival des Femmes, Paris, France 1986 – Cinema du Reel, Paris, France
- FESTIVALS/SCREENINGS: 2012 – San Gio’ Video Festival
- The Road Home
- AWARDS: Honorable Mention, Experimental Category – Smoky Mountain/Nantahala Media Festival
- FESTIVALS/SCREENINGS: 1998 – Brooklyn Film Festival, Brooklyn, N.Y. 1997 – Visual Studies Workshop, guest speaker and screening 1997 – Smoky Mountain/Nantahala Media Festival, N.C. 1997 – Society for Photographic Education-National Conference (Women’s Caucus), Rochester, N.Y.
Quick Links to Movies
Attached is an experimental video poem based on haiku. Haiku is a short poem, written in less than 17 syllables, usually in three lines and often with a seasonal reference. This twelve minute video uses the visual element as a complement, juxtaposition or addition rather than illustration of the haiku.
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Perry Nichols, an 84 year old retired engineer, now spends most of his time cultivating his garden. He gives away two-thirds of his crop to neighbors and family. To his family, he is a frugal, reclusive, conservative old man, whereas to his neighbors, he stands out as a Vermonter – active, independent, and willing to help. To himself, he is a man for whom work is a vital necessity. He is a busy man in what he sees as the best of worlds possible.
Can’t Sleep is a four minute silent narrative group project in which Wendy Smith worked primarily on lighting and camera. This was scripted, shot and edited in two days at Maine Media Workshops using a RED EPIC camera.